Friday, February 23, 2018

Mellow Yellow Project Quilting season 9







Another week of figuring out just what I wanted to make. Actually yellow is my favorite color. My first brand new off the lot car was a 1981 yellow Ford Mustang.   I owned it until 1990 when my second child was born and then I needed a bigger car.

The challenge quilt this week theme was mellow Yellow and it took me really a couple days to throw some ideas around until I decided to make some pieced roses into a wall hanging for my family room. I’ve seen some wonderful quilts with raised parts in them and the leaves would be the perfect things to pop off the quilt for my first time.

The yellow rose symbolizes warmth and friendship. So this bouquet is giving warm wishes to all my family and friends at home, far away, ones I haven’t spoken to in a while, some I only saw a couple times, those I only know through social media, those I haven’t met yet, and to those I will meet again after I leave this world. I will love you all always.



First thing I did was cut out the rose center and continued to add “petals” until the rose was big enough. Then I added background fabric following the same lines as the rose. Once the quilt was big enough, I wacked off a piece so I could add another rose section with background colors. Then I wacked off more pieces and added two more.

The fifth one I had to appliqué on since I couldn’t figure out where to cut the quilt to add it.  It was kinda fun chopping up the quilt in this way but a little scary trying to figure out angles to put it back together.  Some of my seams got a little thick if I had too many in the same place.







I added leaves before stitching the background onto the roses. I added stems of a narrow double fold bias that I made that matched the leaves, and added a few more leaves to the stems.

I also added some stabilizer before I put on the binding, just so it would hang a little square up on the wall.  It was my first real quilt I was going to display on the wall in my house.




I quilted the roses in a spiral pattern and just meandering quilting in the background.  I know on a few  social media groups I’m in that some consider meandering stitching a “simple” stitch but I really like the way it looks. I don’t think it’s simple but I am new at this. Maybe it is... but I like it.

So it's done now, I made it 18"x18" with a 1" yellow border and a small hanging loop in the back that I hand stitched on.  I also put a decorative leaf stitching onto the binding when I stitched it down.  It now graces the wall in our family room above the fireplace.  Hopefully the next challenge will give me some ideas for the rest of the wall (giggle, giggle).

Until I craft again.

PS:  Now that it's on the wall, I think I may have to put another rose in the upper right corner.  It looks a little bare there, or if anybody has any suggestions I'd be glad to consider them!!!

1 comment: