Saturday, February 10, 2018

Project Quilting Bold and Brave quilting challenge season 9.3


 PROJECT QUILTING BOLD AND BRAVE SEASON 9.3 CHALLENGE


Actually this project did not quite turn out as I really wanted, but I did learn alot from doing this one.

I've always seen quilts that are Trapunto quilted, with white fabric, white stitching, and to me they just look so beautiful I wanted to try it.

I thought the USA has had some pretty bold and brave people who were there at the beginning of our country, so I thought about doing something about Sam Adams (besides I like his beer lol).  My quilting skill probably couldn't do his photo justice so, I thought of doing Mt. Rushmore but thought that might be a little too much for me too.  I thought about doing the Preamble to the constitution.  After attempting some lettering on a scrap piece of fabric, I decided that all the words would be too much for me, but I could do the first three and add a flag underneath. 

This was my practice piece.  I forgot to rotate the picture before uploading but too late now.



First I wrote out the words in pencil (note to self get a washable quilting marker next time)



Next I drew out a waving flag underneath the words.


Next I quilted the words and flag and added a banner around the words and some ribbon quilting around the flag.  Probably could have used a thicker batting to bring out the stitching.

I know it's not centered but it was my first time. 




I really wasn't loving the quilt at this point so I trimmed it down to 18"x15" and added a white on white print binding around the edge just to get it done.  It looked so plain (not very bold) and it needed something else.  So after I washed out the pencil lines in the kitchen sink, I thought I could tea dye it to make it look antique.  SO...out came the teabags. 

Still not loving the plainness of the whole quilt so I decided to do a little hand stitching embelishments on it and it turned out really nice.  I kinda cross stitched the lettering on top and put in some stars and stripes for the flag.  Not a bad little quilt but I probably won't be doing any trapunto quilting any time soon.  Maybe if I had a longarm quilting machine I might try a whole quilt but with must my little trusty Brother, I'll just stick with what I can do with him. 

I'll probably give this little baby to my grandson to use as a blanket for one of his dinosaurs to sleep under.  So this is my patriotic doll blanket quilt. 











Until I craft again!!!

2 comments: